BIG BLUE NATION

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

BIG BLUE NATION
BIG BLUE NATION
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GATORS UPSET BY THE FLIPPERS

3 posters

Go down

GATORS UPSET BY THE FLIPPERS Empty GATORS UPSET BY THE FLIPPERS

Post  Carolina Kat Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:39 am

Dolphins get first win vs. Gators since '94 lol!

Associated Press

GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- Keith McDougald was staring down a couple key free throws late in overtime against a Top 25 team.

Jacksonville coach Cliff Warren was confident the freshman would knock them down. So was McDougald.

He scored a career-high 18 points and Delwan Graham added two critical baskets to lead Jacksonville to a 71-68 upset of Florida (No. 19 ESPN/USA Today, No. 20 AP) on Monday.

"Coach Warren told me that I was going to make the free throws and when I was at the free-throw line I just believed I was going to make them and they went in," McDougald said. "No nerves at all."

Florida was back in the AP poll after dropping out two weeks ago. The Gators started the season ranked ninth but slipped down the rankings until dropping out following their loss to Central Florida on Dec. 1 in Orlando.

"We were totally ripe to be beat," Florida coach Billy Donovan said. "I'm not sure we could have beat anybody tonight. And that's not taking anything away from Jacksonville, because their kids did a great job."

McDougald hit both ends of a one-and-one with 31.8 seconds remaining in overtime to give the Dolphins (7-3) a 69-66 lead and hit two more with 17.1 seconds remaining.

"He was very, very confident," Warren said. "He talked about it in the huddle, 'I'm going to make the free throws, Coach. Just get me open.' Very confident."

It was Jacksonville's first victory over Florida since Dec. 21, 1994, and the Dolphins' ninth victory in 33 meetings with the Gators.

Graham helped set up McDougald's icing free throws with two baskets in the final 1:30. Both gave the Dolphins one-point leads. He finished with 10 points.

Florida (8-3) got a season-high 21 points from Erving Walker and double-doubles by Vernon Macklin (13 points, 10 rebounds) and Alex Tyus (10 points, 11 rebounds).

Russell Powell hit a jumper to give Jacksonville a 63-61 lead, but the Dolphins ended their next two possessions with shot clock violations. UF got three free throws from Walker to go ahead 64-63, but Hardy delivered another steal when he knocked the ball away from Kenny Boynton. McDougald missed a layup but Graham grabbed the offensive rebound and scored to put the Dolphins ahead.

"I knew that Florida's big men had a little bit more size than us but I knew I had to go in extra hard on the rebound and the ball fell in my hands when I went in there," Graham said.

After Macklin scored on a tip-in, Graham hit short jumper to put Jacksonville ahead to stay with 54 seconds to play.

"Just even to get the basketball, to block out, to attack the basket, I thought was huge," Warren said. "Delwan Graham, he just plays with a lot of confidence."

Jacksonville's Ayron Hardy tied the game at 61 with 20.1 seconds left when he stole the ball from Chandler Parsons and dunked.

Hardy finished with 12 points and Powell scored 13 for Jacksonville.

Copyright by STATS LLC and The Associated Press

Carolina Kat
ADMIN

Favorite College team: : Go Hoos
Favorite NFL team: : Winnipeg

Back to top Go down

GATORS UPSET BY THE FLIPPERS Empty Re: GATORS UPSET BY THE FLIPPERS

Post  Mikey Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:58 am

"We were totally ripe to be beat," Florida coach Billy Donovan said. "I'm not sure we could have beat anybody tonight. And that's not taking anything away from Jacksonville, because their kids did a great job."

I hate this kind of coach speak. he is taking away from the Jacksonville players. They either played a great game or UF couldnt have beat anyone, I dont think you can have it both ways. I am sure I didnt explain what I meant but im kinda drunk. Just ignore this whole post.
Mikey
Mikey

Favorite College team: : UK
Favorite NFL team: : Bengals

Back to top Go down

Post  jagator Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:41 am

If you'd watched the game, you'd know what he meant. The Gators played like crap. Missed a dozen shots from point blank range, turnover after turnover, jacking up threes for no apparent reason and without running any offense, pathetic. JU played great. They ran their offense. They set screens, penetrated and dished, got fouled and hit free throws and shot well from three. The only reason the game was close was the talent disparity kept it close. The team that deserved to lose lost.
jagator
jagator

Favorite College team: : Florida
Favorite NFL team: : Jacksonville

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down