BIG BLUE NATION

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

BIG BLUE NATION
BIG BLUE NATION
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NCAA considering new legislation; could possibly maybe affect Kanter

2 posters

Go down

NCAA considering new legislation; could possibly maybe affect Kanter Empty NCAA considering new legislation; could possibly maybe affect Kanter

Post  BestdamnUKfanperiod Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:33 pm

NCAA considering new legislation; could possibly maybe affect Kanter

by Hunter Campbell @ 4:00 pm. Filed under Blue Blooded Opinions

justabill

According to this article by habitual podcast skipper Andy Katz, the NCAA’s new president has new, emergency legislation on his mind that would seek to avoid another convoluted Cam Newton-like situation. Here’s what the NCAA’s head honcho had to say about the Newton case and the possibility of new rules to keep the problem from repeating itself:

NCAA president Mark Emmert said in an interview Tuesday that emergency legislation could be put in place during the January convention to avoid a repeat of the Cam Newton pay-for-play case.

Speaking in a wide-ranging interview with nine reporters from various media outlets, Emmert said the main question the NCAA must tackle is whether a player should be culpable for the actions of a relative even if no evidence is found that he or she knew about those actions… The NCAA found no evidence that Cam Newton knew what his father did or that Auburn was involved, so he was allowed to keep playing.

The new NCAA chief said the backlash against the organization’s decision to clear Newton to play would have been worse if he were prevented from competing based on the evidence against him. At the same time, he acknowledged it’s a complex legal and ethical issue.

“I was not surprised by the volume or the vitriolic nature, but had we made a different decision, I do think it would have been worse,” Emmert said. “There was no evidence that Auburn University had anything to do with that or the student-athlete had anything to do with that, and under the rules that exist today, he could play ball.”

Emmert, the former University of Washington president who succeeds interim president Jim Isch (who followed the late Myles Brand), said legislation to deal with a Newton-like case is on his mind.

“Who is an agent and who is a third party and how do you define that?” Emmert said. “Is it a registered agent? A financial adviser? A counselor, an uncle, an AAU coach? Who is representing you? The reason the backlash didn’t surprise me is that the face of the case seemed straight forward but we had to deal with the reality of the facts that were known.”

Now, despite there being no mention of Enes Kanter in the article, it doesn’t take an investigative reporter to realize that if Kentucky’s new case for Enes is based on the Newton ruling, any legislation that’s passed concerning the rules that allowed that verdict to be reached would most likely have some effect on UK. Dickie V, who also isn’t an investigative journalist, made the same connection:

I’m not going to pretend to have some nice way to explain how this may or may not play into the Kanter case. That would involve trying to crawl inside the brain of the NCAA, a place I’d be afraid to go even if I was convinced it actually existed. But it is worth following, both to see if it does affect Kanter’s case and to see if the NCAA can use this opportunity to succeed in finding a new way to make themselves look like morons.

Free Enes.
BestdamnUKfanperiod
BestdamnUKfanperiod
ADMIN

Favorite College team: : Kentucky Wildcats
Favorite NFL team: : New England Patriots

https://bigbluenation.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

NCAA considering new legislation; could possibly maybe affect Kanter Empty Re: NCAA considering new legislation; could possibly maybe affect Kanter

Post  MULECHOPS Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:50 pm

Man I just don't trust the NCAA. Lets say they clear him and then who knows. Another violation?
It's communist rule with this group and Enes is in their radar (they have big chips on their shoulders). I just don't know if it's worth it.
MULECHOPS
MULECHOPS

Favorite College team: : UK
Favorite NFL team: : Vikings

Back to top Go down

NCAA considering new legislation; could possibly maybe affect Kanter Empty Re: NCAA considering new legislation; could possibly maybe affect Kanter

Post  BestdamnUKfanperiod Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:12 am

The NCAA should let Enes play, then admit they have made mistakes and from Jan on there will be new rules and they will be firm.
BestdamnUKfanperiod
BestdamnUKfanperiod
ADMIN

Favorite College team: : Kentucky Wildcats
Favorite NFL team: : New England Patriots

https://bigbluenation.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down