BIG BLUE NATION

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

BIG BLUE NATION
BIG BLUE NATION
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jets' Assistant Trips Dolphin Player

Go down

Jets' Assistant Trips Dolphin Player Empty Jets' Assistant Trips Dolphin Player

Post  Carolina Kat Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:05 pm

December 12 2010 Last updated at 11:20 PM ET
Sal Alosi, Jets Assistant, Apologizes for Tripping Dolphins' Nolan Carroll

By FanHouse Staff

Jets' Assistant Trips Dolphin Player Nolan-carroll-tripped-307t

Jets assistant Sal Alosi admitted to tripping Dolphins cornerback/kick returner Nolan Carroll and apologized for his "inexcusable and unsportsmanlike" conduct in Sunday's loss.

"I made a mistake that showed a total lapse in judgment. My conduct was inexcusable and unsportsmanlike and does not reflect what this organization stands for," Alosi said in a statement. "I accept responsibility for my actions as well as any punishment that follows."

Alosi, in his fourth season as the Jets' head strength and conditioning coach, stuck his knee out and tripped Carroll on a Jets punt return with 2:58 left in the third quarter. As Carroll ran down the sideline to defend the return by Jets wide receiver Santonio Holmes, he was hurt when Alosi appeared to intentionally extend his knee to stop Carroll in his tracks. Carroll remained down for a minute on the field but later would return to the game.

Alosi, at minimum, likely faces a fine for his actions and could be suspended. New York Daily News beat writer Manish Mehta reported that the Jets are reviewing the matter and looking into the appropriate next step for Alosi, according to a team spokesman. Alosi said he also apologized to Carroll and Dolphins head coach Tony Sparano before Miami left.

Sparano said he would be sending tape of the incident to the league.

"I don't know what else can be done," Sparano said. "There was a player down on the sideline and that's not good. We're trying to take care of players in this game."

Dolphins linebacker Karlos Dansby pulled no punches when he was told about the trip and shown a photo of it on a cell phone. "He kneed him? Are you serious? He's just taking after the head coach, man. It all trickles downhill," Dansby said. "That's how I look at it, it trickles downhill. The head coach, he opened a can of worms over there and now he's got to fix it."

Dansby added "there's no place for that in football" and asked commissioner Roger Goodell to suspend Alosi for the incident. "That is so dirty. ... Come on man. Goodell, handle this. That's sad. Suspend (Alosi). He's gotta go. He's bringing the whole organization down."

Fellow linebacker Channing Crowder offered an even harsher assessment of the incident. "They're cheaters," Crowder said. "They do what they do. They cheat. They talk junk. But we beat the hell out of them today, so they can trip all the people they want to. I wish they'd tripped me. I'd have broken that old man's leg."

For his part, Carroll said he didn't know how he went down and that he would have to watch the film. "I'm not angry. I mean, we got a (win). That's not my problem. It's the Jets' problem. We just move on."

-- Information from FanHouse writer Andy Kent and The Associated Press was used in this report.

Carolina Kat
ADMIN

Favorite College team: : Go Hoos
Favorite NFL team: : Winnipeg

Back to top Go down