BIG BLUE NATION

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

BIG BLUE NATION
BIG BLUE NATION
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mid-Afternoon Football Fix

Go down

Mid-Afternoon Football Fix Empty Mid-Afternoon Football Fix

Post  BestdamnUKfanperiod Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:48 am

Mid-Afternoon Football Fix
by Rob Gidel @ 4:30 pm. Filed under Blue Blooded Opinions
http://new.kentuckysportsradio.com/

1) Big, big recruiting weekend just got bigger with the announcement from Kentucky Sports Report’s Brian Eldridge that Michael Thornton, a four-star defensive tackle, will accompany his four Stephenson high school teammates on an official visit to Kentucky this weekend. Three of the five Jaguars have already committed to UK, including future alumni chairman prospect Raymond Sanders, who loves the Wildcats and can’t get enough of his future in Lexington. In addition to Thornton, defensive back Chris Sharpe is joining the crew. Sharpe was supposed to go to Wisconsin over the weekend, but chose to trip with his boys from Stone Mountain. Sharpe is involved in the very strange “he said, she said” drama with the Louisville coaching staff that apparently has upset the folks at Stephenson High School. Apparently Sharpe thought he had committed and Coach Strong had accepted, according to the UL folks, Coach Strong didn’t see it that way. Either way, he’s headed to Lexington for a visit and the ‘Cats seem to be in good position, if they offer him. UK hasn’t extended an offer despite giving the standout a lot of attention. Should be interesting.

2) Rumors running around about former UT national champion winning QB and former NFL player Tee Martin becoming the new QB’s coach at UK. I cannot confirm anything, but it’d certainly be a pleasant surprise addition to the staff, and the familiar face will really help Sanders acclimate nicely into his role as offensive coordinator. I know the quarterbacks currently working with Sanders really love what he’s brought to the table, so I cannot really say this is a huge upgrade as a position coach, but I do think this will take a significant load off of Sanders on the recruiting trail. Martin is a recognizable name, especially in Atlanta, and is very involved with NIKE and their Elite 11 quarterback camps every year. He has NFL experience and his personality should really help bring in some talent. It will be interesting to see what his job description entails and how much more or less this will take off of Sanders’ plate, if he indeed is hired as QB’s coach. Additionally, it will also be interesting to see what happens to the other assistant positions, since this position wasn’t expected to be filled. UK still needs a wide receivers coach.

3) There is a new sheriff in town and Coach Phillips is making sure everyone around the program knows it. From his recent coaching hires to the new strength and conditioning program that is set to get revamped, Operation Win has now become Operation Don’t Even Think About Crossing Me Boy I Will Whoop Your #$@!. Those that have already gotten into Phillips’ doghouse for being late or not working hard enough have already felt his wrath since the players returned from Christmas break. We knew that Joker was going to put a stamp on this program, but from what has been relayed; Joker is very focused on making sure that this program does not get complacent this off-season under his watch. As I wrote earlier this year, it’s imperative that Joker live everyday with a chip on his shoulder, knowing that one slip-up could end his run. Apparently he has done just that since he’s taken over the captain’s chair. Put aside recruiting for a second and legitimately look at the roster for next year. The key is not going to be who Joker signs on February 3rd, but the effort put forth by the young men already in the program this off-season. There is a lot of opportunity among the younger core group of this team to rally from the late season disappointments and use it as a motivation. They just have to seize their opportunity and use this opportunity to make up ground on every team on their schedule, by outworking them every day this winter.

4) From what I have heard Marc Hill has been reassigned with the athletic department and will be replaced as head strength and conditioning coach of the UK football program. He was still partaking in his regular duties, but UK is actively searching for his replacement. As has been hinted on message boards and across the internet, Ray “Rock Oliver” is the number one choice, but he has not accepted yet (at least as far as I know). Not a done deal by any stretch of the imagination, but would definitely be a home-run hire. Oliver worked with Cincinnati Bengals, recently, and has a past with Rick Pitino at Kentucky and under Coach Calipari. He’d be a terrific addition, but he won’t come cheap. Speaking of cheap and very off-topic, I want to know the search engine these folks use to find pictures of coeds - good lord.

5) Everyone has an opinion about the recruiting class to sign in February, but before you express yours, I might point out how in addition to the class average star rating sitting higher than last year (2.69) at 2.77 on Rivals.com, the class has six guys ranked two stars. (Note: until Scout.com ranks Raymond Sanders above a two-star, then I am not recognizing they are legitimate - for the love of Larry Vaught, the kid embarrassed Mack Brown on national TV and schools like FSU and UT offered him after the fact!). Of the six, two are undeniably better than their ranking. First, Mychal Bailey. If I have to explain why this ranking is ridiculously low, google his name and see a few of the kids he put in the hospital as a high schooler. Being two years older and wiser, he added First-team JC all-American, but that wasn’t good enough for Rivals, so oh well. Second, Joseph Mansour. The kid made the All-Decade team for the state of Georgia, nailed a 50+ yard field goal to beat an arch rival and despite Scout’s apparent lunacy with Sanders, is ranked a four-star by their network. According to Rivals.com, 15 of the 22 are 3-stars, with 1 four-star, which puts UK at 2.77 star rating per player, better than last year’s class, which drew great reviews from fans and experts alike. If UK adds the pieces they are currently seeking (mostly all three-stars or above), then UK will have bested the 09 class. Not bad for a recruiting year fans considered disappointing.

Gidel is a football recruiting analyst for The Cats Pause.
BestdamnUKfanperiod
BestdamnUKfanperiod
ADMIN

Favorite College team: : Kentucky Wildcats
Favorite NFL team: : New England Patriots

https://bigbluenation.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down