BIG BLUE NATION

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

BIG BLUE NATION
BIG BLUE NATION
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WTH? GW Women's Basketball Team Has Transgender Player

2 posters

Go down

WTH?  GW Women's Basketball Team Has Transgender Player Empty WTH? GW Women's Basketball Team Has Transgender Player

Post  Carolina Kat Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:59 pm

GW women's basketball team has transgender player

The Associated Press
Posted: Wednesday, Nov. 03, 2010

WASHINGTON A female-to-male transgender member of the George Washington women's basketball team wants to be identified as a man this season.

Junior Kye Allums - who used to be known as Kay-Kay - is referred to on the school's website as a "male member of George Washington's women's basketball team."

"GW has been supportive during this transition. This means a lot. I didn't choose to be born in this body and feel the way I do. I decided to transition - that is, change my name and pronouns - because it bothered me to hide who I am, and I am trying to help myself and others to be who they are," Allums said in a statement posted Tuesday on the website.

"I told my teammates first, and they, including my coaches, have supported me. My teammates have embraced me as the big brother of the team," continued Allums, who turned 21 last month. "They have been my family, and I love them all."

A story posted Monday on outsports.com reported that "Allums will be the first publicly transgender person" to play NCAA Division I college basketball. NCAA spokesman Rick Nixon did not immediately reply to a request for comment Tuesday from the AP.

GW senior vice provost Robert Chernak, who is the school's senior vice president for student academic and support services, said Allums "has informed the university that he will not begin any medical or drug protocols while a student-athlete. The university consulted the NCAA regarding his competitive status. Kye will continue to be a member of the women's basketball team."

Chernak also said the university "supports Kye and his right to make this decision."
Allums started 20 games for George Washington last season, averaging 7.4 points and 4.6 rebounds in 24.9 minutes. Allums scored a career-high 21 points in a 58-50 victory over La Salle on Jan. 24.

According to GW's website, Allums was honored as the 2008 Minnesota Miss Basketball.

"The George Washington University women's basketball program, including myself, support Kye's right to make this decision," head coach Mike Bozeman said in a statement on the school's website.

George Washington opens its 2010-11 season on Nov. 13 against Green Bay in a tournament at Minneapolis.

Carolina Kat
ADMIN

Favorite College team: : Go Hoos
Favorite NFL team: : Winnipeg

Back to top Go down

WTH?  GW Women's Basketball Team Has Transgender Player Empty Re: WTH? GW Women's Basketball Team Has Transgender Player

Post  BestdamnUKfanperiod Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:11 pm

Thats just nasty
BestdamnUKfanperiod
BestdamnUKfanperiod
ADMIN

Favorite College team: : Kentucky Wildcats
Favorite NFL team: : New England Patriots

https://bigbluenation.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down