BIG BLUE NATION

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

BIG BLUE NATION
BIG BLUE NATION
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

It's a 2-lane recruiting trail for Kentucky, Louisville basketball programs

Go down

It's a 2-lane recruiting trail for Kentucky, Louisville basketball programs Empty It's a 2-lane recruiting trail for Kentucky, Louisville basketball programs

Post  BestdamnUKfanperiod Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:56 am

It's a 2-lane recruiting trail for Kentucky, Louisville basketball programs

Teams going after many same players

By Jody Demling • jdemling@courier-journal.com • July 25, 2010

LAS VEGAS — The University of Louisville and the University of Kentucky haven't bumped heads on the recruiting trail much in recent years.

That rivalry is heating up.

UK beat the Cardinals for Marquis Teague, who committed in April and will sign with the Wildcats in November. Now the two are going hard after several other players in the Class of 2011, including the second-ranked prospect in the country — Quincy Miller.

Both schools are also recruiting high-profile prospects Deuce Bello, Tony Wroten, Johnny O'Bryant and the state's top player — Chane Behanan of Bowling Green High School.

“They're in on a lot of the same kids,” Hoop Scoop editor Clark Francis said. “(Louisville), they need McDonald's All Americans. They need some elite-level guys.”

U of L coach Rick Pitino got a boost with the hiring of assistant Tim Fuller, who previously worked at Nike and had relationships with some of the top players.

UK has a head start with commitments from No.1 prospect Michael Gilchrist and the top-five-ranked Teague.

“With two high-caliber coaches like Pitino and (John) Calipari and with the schools so close, at some point on the recruiting trail you will run into the same guys,” Scout.com national analyst Evan Daniels said.

The biggest prize will be Miller.

A 6-foot-9 forward from High Point, N.C., Westchester Academy had been considered leaning toward Kentucky until this month.

Miller said the hiring of Fuller lifted the Cardinals into the picture. He said he's also considering Duke, Connecticut, Baylor, Syracuse, Wake Forest, Texas, Tennessee and Oklahoma.

“I am just feeling the programs out right now,” Miller said. “I am trying to get comfortable and see what everybody has got and then make a decision later.”

When asked about the UK-UofL rivalry, Miller smiled and said he knows the two fan bases don't like one another but said that's something he could relish.

“Once I get in college, I definitely want to be a rival,” Miller said. “I want to be somebody that everybody hates.”

Daniels, whose site calls Miller a “hybrid forward who plays facing the basket” and an “elite prospect,” said Miller selecting a local school would be huge.

“It would be similar to Kentucky getting Marquis Teague over Louisville,” Daniels said. “It would be a huge deal. He's a future NBA player. (One school) would have bragging rights.”

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20100725/SPORTS11/307250053/It+s+a+2-lane+recruiting+trail+for+Cats++Cards
BestdamnUKfanperiod
BestdamnUKfanperiod
ADMIN

Favorite College team: : Kentucky Wildcats
Favorite NFL team: : New England Patriots

https://bigbluenation.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down