BIG BLUE NATION

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

BIG BLUE NATION
BIG BLUE NATION
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BCG Showing Interest In Iowa State Job

Go down

BCG Showing Interest In Iowa State Job Empty BCG Showing Interest In Iowa State Job

Post  Carolina Kat Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:33 pm

Former Texas A&M coach Gillispie shows interest in Cyclone opening

By RANDY PETERSON • randypeterson@dmreg.com • April 26, 2010

Ames, Ia.
— Throw former Texas A&M and Kentucky coach Billy Gillispie into the hopper of candidates for the Iowa State basketball coaching job that became vacant Monday.

He is one of three current or former coaches who called former Cyclone basketball star Gary Thompson after news spread that Greg McDermott was headed to Creighton.

“I had a call from Billy right away,” Thompson said. “He’s interested. I had a call from two others who are interested, too.”

Thompson, who helped hire former Cyclone coaches Tim Floyd and Larry Eustachy, would not reveal the other two inquiring coaches.

“All I do is hope they get the best coach available,” Thompson said. “I think there are people out there.”

Returning guard Charles Boozer prefers a coach with an up-tempo mentality.

“I like playing fast,” said the senior, who played in 16 games before tearing and ACL last season. “I like running and dunking, but to be perfectly honest, I just want a winning season.”

McDermott leaned more toward structured offense than freelance.

“The kids you’re recruiting nowadays — I read a lot where they say all they want to do is play up-tempo because that’s what they do in the pros,” Thompson said, “and everyone wants to make multi-millions as a pro.

“But you know what? You still have to play good, solid basketball.”

Carolina Kat
ADMIN

Favorite College team: : Go Hoos
Favorite NFL team: : Winnipeg

Back to top Go down