BIG BLUE NATION

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

BIG BLUE NATION
BIG BLUE NATION
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Interstate 40 Re-Opens Between Asheville-Knoxvegas

Go down

Interstate 40 Re-Opens Between Asheville-Knoxvegas Empty Interstate 40 Re-Opens Between Asheville-Knoxvegas

Post  Carolina Kat Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:37 pm

I-40 reopens after rockslide

By Ely Portillo
elyportillo@charlotteobserver.com

Posted: Sunday, Apr. 25, 2010

Six months to the day after a rockslide thundered down into the Pigeon River gorge and covered Interstate 40 near the Tennessee border, transportation officials say the highway is set to reopen.

The highway has been closed near mile marker 20 since October 25. N.C. Department of Transportation officials originally predicted it would take three or four months to clean up the roadway and stabilize the mountain slope, but said an especially harsh winter delayed their efforts.

Three lanes reopen to traffic at about 6 p.m. today. One westbound lane will be closed for several more months as crews continue to shore up the mountain slope. Truckers carrying wide loads west will still have to take the detour of I-26 West north to I-81 South, back to I-40 West in Tennessee.

Eastbound trucks don’t have to worry about additional restrictions and can use the highway immediately.

Carolina Kat
ADMIN

Favorite College team: : Go Hoos
Favorite NFL team: : Winnipeg

Back to top Go down