BIG BLUE NATION

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

BIG BLUE NATION
BIG BLUE NATION
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search On For Lebo's Replacement At Auburn

Go down

Search On For Lebo's Replacement At Auburn Empty Search On For Lebo's Replacement At Auburn

Post  Carolina Kat Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:31 pm

Search is on for Auburn's new basketball coach

By Charles Goldberg -- The Birmingham News

March 13, 2010, 9:02AM

AUBURN
-- Auburn Athletics Director Jay Jacobs says firing Jeff Lebo as his basketball coach wasn't easy Friday, but he quickly moved on and said he has a "short list" of candidates he'll consider to fill the void.

Jacobs replaced Lebo a day after Auburn's season ended with a first-round loss in the Southeastern Conference tournament, leaving the Tigers with a 15-17 record. Lebo finished his six-year run at Auburn with a 96-93 overall record, which included a 35-61 SEC mark and five losing SEC seasons. The Tigers did not make the NCAA Tournament during his tenure. Jacobs told Lebo of his decision during a noon meeting.

"There's not a finer guy than Jeff Lebo," Jacobs said.

But Jacobs added, "the No. 1 thing is winning."

"Going into the meeting today, I knew what I needed to do. I felt strongly that I needed to make a change," Jacobs said.

Lebo had three years remaining on his contract that included a $1.5 million buyout.

It took Jacobs only 10 days to hire Gene Chizik as his football coach after Tommy Tuberville's departure, but Jacobs said this search could take longer because candidates may be in the NCAA Tournament, which concludes in early April. Jacobs said he hasn't decided whether he'll use a search firm.

"We're going to find the right fit, the right guy that will represent these guys that we have here and these signees and gives us the best chance to compete," he said.

The new coach will have something Lebo just missed: The new $90-million Auburn Arena that will open next season. Lebo had input on some of the features, but Jacobs said he couldn't let that affect his decision.

"When I looked at this process, I looked at it with and without the arena," Jacobs said. "I'm certainly ex cited with the commitment we have with the new arena. Also, it shows a tremendous commitment with me and the basketball decision I made today."

Jacobs said he and Senior Associate Athletics Director Bernard Hill met with players Friday, and that he and Hill were prepared to call the six signees. Jacobs said Hill would oversee the basketball program until a head coach is hired.

Jacobs also said the current assistant coaches would be given a chance to interview with the new head coach to remain on the staff. Lebo enjoyed his best season just last year. The Tigers went 24-12 -- matching the second most wins in school history -- and 10-6 in the SEC. But there was little follow-through this season, even with four seniors in the starting lineup.

The Tigers went 6-10 in the SEC, and, worse, finished 9-6 against non-conference opponents. Central Florida and Sam Houston State beat Auburn for their first wins against an SEC school. Troy beat Auburn for the first time in 11 tries.

Lebo had more success at his first two coaching stops. He was 74-42 in four seasons at Tennessee Tech and 40-20 in two seasons at Chattanooga.

Lebo replaced Cliff Ellis at Auburn before the 2004-05 season, but was hurt when several of Ellis' top players left. His first Auburn team finished 14-17.

Carolina Kat
ADMIN

Favorite College team: : Go Hoos
Favorite NFL team: : Winnipeg

Back to top Go down